인터넷언론블로그·UCC댓글논쟁디지털세상월드뉴스정치·경제사회·문화포토·만평
로그인 회원가입 아이디/비번 찾기
편집  2018.11.19 [19:03]
자유게시판   편집게시판   전체기사보기
NYT, 北종업원 朴정권 기획탈북 상세보도
[외신] 식당매니저 "이용하고 폐기했다" 인터뷰, 유엔 "범죄로 간주"
 
뉴스프로

박근혜 정권 국정원의 대표적인 무법사태로 손꼽히는 ‘북 여종업원 기획 탈북’에 대해 뉴욕타임스가 그 전모를 상세하게 보도하고 나서 이 사건이 전 세계적인 관심을 피할 수 없게 됐다.

 

뉴욕타임스는 4일 ‘A North Korean Defector’s Tale of Lies, Blackmail and Betrayal-거짓말, 협박 그리고 배반 – 한 탈북자의 이야기‘라는 제목의 기사를 통해 이 사건의 시작부터 여종업원 납치, 그리고 남한 입국 후 국정원의 배반과 현재 삶의 모습까지 광범위하게 취재해 보도했다.

 

이 기사를 보면 남한의 국정원과 이 사건의 주협력자인 식당 매니저 허강일씨와의 접촉과정과 여종업원들을 속여 남쪽으로 데려오는 과정에서의 음모와 배반 그리고 협박 과정이 고스란히 드러나고 있다.

 

뿐만 아니라 박근혜 정권과 국정원이 총선 승리를 위한 기획 목적을 위해 여종업들의 신원을 노출시키지 않겠다는 약속을 지키지 않고, 입국 하루 만에 언론에 대대적으로 보도하고 효용가치가 없어지자 약속을 저버리고 폐기하는 등 반인륜적 행태를 저지르는 내용을 적나라하게 보도하고 있어 충격을 주고 있다.

 

뉴욕타임스는 처음에 한국의 당국자들이 북한 종업원 여성들이 중국에 살면서 한국 영화와 TV 드라마를 보며 탈출을 갈망하기 시작했다고 말했지만, 지난 5월 허 씨와 몇몇 여종업원들은 한 뉴스 채널에서 그 탈북이 남한의 국가정보원에 의해 기획된 것이라고 말했다며, 7월에 이들 일부 여성들을 만난 유엔의 한 관료는 그들이 “속임”을 당했다고 말하며 “만일 이들을 자신의 의지에 반해 중국에서 데려온 것이라면 이는 범죄로 간주될 수 있다”고 덧붙였다고 보도했다.

 

뉴욕타임스는 한국 정부의 조명균 통일부 장관이 계속된 의혹 보도에도 ‘그 여성들이 자신들의 자유 의지에 따라 한국으로 왔다고 정부는 믿고 있다고 최근에 재차 말했지만 그 정보의 출처 역시 국정원이라고 말했다’고 꼬집었다.

 

뉴욕타임스는 허씨가 여러 차례의 인터뷰에서 더 많은 이야기를 털어놓았다며 그의 이야기는 거짓말과 협박, 그리고 배반에 배반을 거듭하는 이야기라고 소개하며 연길에서의 식당생활에서 중국을 떠나게 되는 숨막히는 과정, 남으로의 입국과 국정원의 배신, 그리고 현재의 생활에 이르기까지 자세하게 보도했다.

 

이제 북 여종업원 기획 탈북 문제는 대규모 집단 불법 납치사건으로 국제적으로 주목을 끌게 되어 한국 정부도 이에 대한 조사를 서둘러 답을 내놓을 수밖에 없게 됐다. (글, 이하로)

 

다음은 뉴스프로가 번역한 뉴욕타임스의 기사 전문이다. 번역 감수는 임옥.

기사 바로가기 : https://nyti.ms/2OKWacw

A North Korean Defector’s Tale of Lies, Blackmail and Betrayal

거짓말, 협박 그리고 배반 – 한 탈북자의 이야기

 

By Choe Sang-Hun Aug. 4, 2018

 

▲ Heo Kang-il, a North Korean defector, in Seoul this month. “I wish I could turn the clock back,” he says of his 2016 defection to South Korea with 12 waitresses, who he says he tricked into coming with him. Credit Jun Michael Park for The New York Times. 이번 달 서울에서 탈북자 허강일. “시간을 되돌릴 수만 있다면,”이라며 그는 2012년 12명의 식당 여종업원들과 함께 한국으로 도망쳐온 사건에 대해 말한다. 이 종업원들은 자신이 속여 함께 데려왔다고 그는 말한다.    

 

 

SEOUL, South Korea — At about 1:20 a.m. on April 6, 2016, an AirAsia flight bound for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, was preparing for takeoff in Shanghai. One of the passengers, a North Korean man named Heo Kang-il, dialed a familiar number on his phone and conveyed a message.

한국, 서울 – 2016년 4월 6일 오전 1시 20분 경 말레이시아 쿠알라룸푸르행 에어아시아 항공기가 상하이에서 이륙을 준비하고 있었다. 승객들 중 허강일이라는 이름의 한 북한 남성이 자신의 휴대폰에 있는 익숙한 번호로 문자를 전송했다. “I could hear hurrahs and applause erupting on the other end,” Mr. Heo said. “They called me a hero.” 허 씨는 “나는 통화하는 상대편 측에서 환성과 박수가 터져 나오는 소리를 들을 수 있었다”며, “그들은 나를 영웅이라고 불렀다”고 말했다.

 

At the other end of the line, he says, were South Korean intelligence officers. And on the plane with Mr. Heo, who managed a restaurant in China, were a dozen North Korean waitresses he was about to deliver into their hands — a rare mass defection that became a public relations coup for South Korea.

허 씨가 말하기를 통화 상대편은 한국 정보기관 직원들이었다. 중국에서 식당 관리자였던 허 씨가 탄 비행기에는 이제 막 허 씨가 이들의 손에 넘겨주려는 12명의 북한 여종업원들이 있었다. 이는 드문 집단 탈북 사건으로서 한국에서 큰 여론몰이가 되었다.

 

South Korean officials said the women had begun yearning to defect while living in China, where they watched movies and television dramas made in South Korea. But in recent months, that version of events has started to unravel.

한국의 당국자들은 그 여성들이 중국에 살면서 한국 영화와 TV 드라마를 보며 탈출을 갈망하기 시작했다고 말했다. 그러나 최근 몇 달에 걸쳐 그 사건의 내막이 밝혀지기 시작했다.

 

In May, Mr. Heo and several of the waitresses told a news channel that, while he knew they were all going to South Korea, the women did not. He said the defection was engineered by the South’s National Intelligence Service.

5월 허 씨와 몇몇 여종업원들은 한 뉴스 채널에서 그들 모두가 한국으로 가는 것을 자신은 알고 있었지만, 그 여성들은 몰랐다고 말했다. 그는 그 탈북이 남한의 국가정보원에 의해 기획된 것이라고 말했다.

 

A United Nations official who met with some of the women in July said they had been subjected to “deceit,” adding, “If they were taken against their will from China, that may be considered a crime.” South Korean human rights lawyers have sued the spy agency’s former chief and the intelligence officer Mr. Heo said was his handler, accusing them of kidnapping; prosecutors are considering bringing charges.

7월에 이들 일부 여성들을 만난 유엔의 한 관료는 그들이 “속임”을 당했다고 말하며 “만일 이들을 자신의 의지에 반해 중국에서 데려온 것이라면 이는 범죄로 간주될 수 있다”고 덧붙였다. 한국의 인권 변호사들은 전 국가정보원장, 그리고 허 씨가 자신의 담당관이라고 말한 그 국정원 직원을 납치 혐의로 고발했다. 검찰은 기소를 고려 중이다.

 

The country’s human rights commission began its own investigation into the kidnapping allegation this week.

한국의 인권위원회는 이번 주에 그 납치 혐의를 자체 조사하기 시작했다.

 

Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon, who oversees South Korea’s relations with the North, recently reiterated that the government believes the women came to the South of their own free will, though he said the intelligence service was the source of that information.

한국의 대북 관련 업무를 총괄하는 조명균 통일부 장관은 그 여성들이 자신들의 자유 의지에 따라 한국으로 왔다고 정부는 믿고 있다고 최근에 재차 말했지만 그 정보의 출처 역시 국정원이라고 말했다.

 

Now, in a series of interviews with The New York Times, Mr. Heo has said more about what led to the defection. His story — little of which could be corroborated, and which the spy agency refused to discuss, citing the prosecutors’ investigation — is one of lies, shakedowns and betrayal upon betrayal.

이제 뉴욕타임스와 여러 차례의 인터뷰에서 허 씨는 왜 탈북하게 되었는지에 대해 더 많은 이야기를 털어놓았다. 사실여부를 확인할 방법도 거의 없고, 검찰조사를 이유로 국정원도 이에 대한 논평을 거부하는 그의 이야기는 거짓말과 협박, 그리고 배반에 배반을 거듭하는 이야기이다.

 

“They were all liars and con men,” Mr. Heo said of the South Korean spies, who he now believes used and discarded him. “I wish I could turn the clock back.”

자신을 이용한 후 폐기했다고 믿고 있는 그 한국 국정원 직원들에 대해 허 씨는 “그들은 모두 거짓말쟁이이고 사기꾼들이었다”며 “시간을 되돌릴 수만 있으면 좋겠다”고 말했다.

 

▲ Mr. Heo and the waitresses initially worked in Yanji, a city in northeastern China near the North Korean border. Credit Yan Cong for The New York Times 허 씨와 여종업원들은 애초 북한 국경 인근 중국 동북부의 연길에서 일했다.    

 

 

A Model Party Worker

모범적인 당원

 

North Korea had sent him to China to run a restaurant in the northeastern city of Yanji. Staffed by waitresses from the North, who double as musicians, such restaurants are a source of foreign currency for the government in Pyongyang, which is isolated by sanctions over its nuclear weapons program.

북한 당국은 그를 동북부에 위치한 연길에 있는 식당을 운영하도록 중국에 파견했다. 북한에서 온 여종업원들이 음악 연주를 하기도 하는 이러한 음식점은 핵무기 문제로 제재를 받아 고립된 북한 정부에 외화를 제공하는 출처이다.

 

Only North Koreans who have the government’s trust are allowed to work at the restaurants, and Mr. Heo was certainly one of them. A member of a well-connected North Korean family, he had been inducted into the ruling Workers’ Party at the early age of 29.

북한 정부의 신뢰를 받는 북한 주민들만이 그러한 식당에서 일하도록 허용되며, 허 씨는 분명 그런 사람들 중 한 명이었다. 연줄이 좋은 북한 가정의 구성원인 허 씨는 29살의 나이에 노동당원이 되었다.

 

In 2013, he moved to Yanji, along with 22 North Korean women he had recruited and trained. His assignment was to bring in $100,000 a year for the regime.

2013년 그는 스스로 채용해서 훈련시킨 22명의 북한 여성들과 함께 연길로 갔다. 그의 과업은 북한 정권을 위해 매년 10만 달러의 수입을 벌어들이는 것이었다.

 

“Chinese restaurant owners favored our workers because they were cheap and worked with militarylike discipline,” Mr. Heo said. The restaurant had a Chinese owner, but Mr. Heo was in charge of the staff.

허 씨는 “중국인 식당 소유주들은 임금이 싸고 군대 같은 규율에 따라 일하기 때문에 북조선 노동자들을 좋아한다”고 말했다. 그 식당도 중국인 소유였지만 허 씨가 직원을 관리했다.

 

Although they were outside the borders of North Korea’s repressive state, there were eyes everywhere. Mr. Heo said he was monitored by North Korean agents, who began using their leverage over him to demand exorbitant bribes.

억압적인 북한의 국경 바깥에 있었지만 항상 어디든 감시의 눈이 있었다. 허 씨는 북한 요원들에 의해 늘 감시되었으며 그들은 자신들의 영향력을 이용해 자신에게 과도한 뇌물을 요구하기 시작했다고 말했다.

 

Those demands, Mr. Heo says, were just one source of stress that began to build as the months in China went on. He also began to hear that friends in North Korea were being sent to prison camps, caught up in a wave of purges.

그러한 요구들은 중국에서 머무는 수개월 계속 되었으며 스트레스를 쌓이게 하는 일부 원인이었다고 말한다. 허 씨는 또한 북한에 있는 친구들이 숙청 바람에 휘말리어 수용소로 보내졌다는 이야기도 듣기 시작했다.

 

He said he was becoming disenchanted with his country’s system — and interested in South Korea’s. He says he began to nurture a dream of working for the South, and ultimately for Korean reunification.

허 씨는 조국의 체제에 대해 환멸을 느끼게 되었고 남한 체제에 관심을 가지게 되었다고 말했다. 그는 남한 정부를 위해 일하는 꿈을 가지게 되었고 궁극적으로 한반도 통일을 위해 일하고 싶었다고 말한다.

 

Switching Sides

전향

 

One day in 2014, he says, he approached one of the restaurant’s regular customers, an ethnic Korean Chinese man who seemed to know an interesting variety of people. Cautiously, he said, he asked the man if he knew anyone who worked in South Korean intelligence.

2014년 어느 날 식당의 단골 손님 중 하나로서 다양한 사람을 알고 있는 듯한 한국계 중국인에게 접근했다. 조심스럽게 허 씨는 남한 정보기관에서 일하는 사람을 알고 있는지 그에게 물어보았다고 말했다.

 

The contact put him in touch with a man who, after a series of conversations, identified himself as a National Intelligence Service officer. By 2015, Mr. Heo said he was giving that officer information about North Korea’s missile and submarine programs, which he obtained from friends among the North Korean elite. And he had signed a pledge of loyalty to South Korea.

그 사람은 허 씨를 한 남성과 연결시켜 주었고 그 남성은 몇 번의 대화를 나눈 후 자신이 국정원 직원이라고 밝혔다. 2015년에 들어서서는 허 씨는 북한의 엘리트 계층에 있는 친구들로부터 획득한 북한 미사일과 잠수함 프로그램에 관한 정보를 그 남성에게 제공하게 되었다고 말했다. 그리고 그는 남한에 충성하겠다는 서약서에 서명했다.

 

The arrangement went on for months, he says. Then trouble came from an unexpected source. The customer told Mr. Heo that he knew about his espionage and he demanded $100,000 for his silence.

그 합의는 몇 달간 지속되었다고 허 씨는 말한다. 그런 후 예상치 못한 출처로부터 문제가 발생했다. 그 단골손님이 허 씨가 간첩활동을 하는 것을 알고 있다며 입막음용으로 10만 달러를 허 씨에게 요구했다.

 

He pressed his demands so insistently that Mr. Heo moved the waitresses to the city of Ningbo near Shanghai to work in another restaurant, hoping to evade him. But the customer showed up there, too, he said.

그 손님은 집요하게 요구를 해왔으며, 허 씨는 그에게서 벗어나고자 하는 마음으로 상하이 근처 도시 닝보에 있는 다른 식당으로 여종업원들을 이동시켰다. 그러나 그 손님도 다시 그곳에 나타났다고 허 씨는 말했다.

 

It seemed only a matter of time before he would be exposed. In early 2016, he began pleading with the South Korean intelligence officer to help him get to South Korea. They discussed May 30 as a target date.

허 씨가 노출되는 것은 시간문제인 듯했다. 2016년 초, 허 씨는 한국으로 갈 수 있도록 도움을 달라고 그 국정원 직원에게 간청하기 시작했다. 그들은 5월 30일을 실행일로 논의했다.

 

But on April 3, Mr. Heo said the officer suddenly told him to leave in 48 hours and to bring all 19 of the women who were working for him at the time.

그러나 4월 3일 허 씨는 그 담당자가 갑자기 48 시간 내에 떠나야 한다고 말하며, 당시 허 씨와 함께 일하고 있던 19명의 여종업원들 모두도 데리고 가야 한다고 했다고 말했다.

 

When Mr. Heo balked at that, he said, the officer threatened to expose him to the North Koreans himself. He promised the equivalent of millions of dollars if he complied, according to Mr. Heo.

허 씨가 망설이자 그 담당자는 북한에 자신을 직접 노출시키겠다고 위협했다고 말했다. 허 씨에 따르면, 일을 완수하면 수백만 달러를 허 씨에게 주겠다고 그는 약속했다.

 

Finally, according to Mr. Heo, he promised that South Korea would keep the episode quiet, protecting the defectors’ families back in North Korea from retaliation by the government.

마지막으로, 그 담당자는 한국 정부가 간첩 행위에 대해 침묵을 지켜 북한 정부가 북한에 남아 있는 탈북자들의 가족에 보복하는 일이 없도록 하겠다고 약속했다고 허 씨는 말했다.

 

▲ Mr. Heo says this image from closed-circuit television is of himself, at right, with the man he says was a South Korean intelligence officer. Credit Heo Kang-li 허 씨는 CCTV의 이 사진에서 오른쪽이 자신이고, 함께 있는 남성은 스스로를 남한 국정원 직원으로 밝혔다고 말한다.   

 

 

Out of China

중국 탈출

 

Mr. Heo said he bought 20 tickets for a night flight to Kuala Lumpur and told the waitresses to get ready to move again, but he did not say where they were going. The plan was to get them to Malaysia first, and later to Seoul.

허 씨는 쿠알라룸푸르까지 야간비행을 위해 20개의 비행기표를 구매했다. 그리고 여종업원들에게 이동할 준비를 하라고 말했지만 어디로 가는 것인지는 말하지 않았다. 계획은 일단 말레이시아로 가서 그후에 서울로 가는 것이었다.

 

Things went wrong quickly. Hours before they were to depart, five of the waitresses disappeared during a break. Fearing that they had gone to the North Korean agents, Mr. Heo rushed the other 14 women to the Shanghai airport in five taxis.

일이 순식간에 틀어지기 시작했다. 출발하기 몇 시간 전 여종업원들 중 5명이 쉬는 시간 중 사라졌다. 북한 공안들에게 갔을 것이라는 두려움 때문에 허 씨는 급히 서둘러 다섯 대의 택시로 나누어 나머지 14명의 여종업원들과 상하이 공항으로 갔다.

 

But the owner of the restaurant — furious over what he realized was happening, apparently because he stood to lose his investment — pursued them in his car and rammed one of the taxis, Mr. Heo said. The two women in that cab were left behind.

무슨 일이 벌어지고 있는지를 깨닫고 아마도 투자한 돈을 잃게 될 것에 분노한 식당의 소유주는 자신의 차를 몰고 그들을 뒤쫓다가 택시 중 한 대를 들이받았다고 허 씨는 말했다. 그래서 그 택시에 타고 있던 두 명의 여종업원은 뒤에 남게 되었다.

 

After they landed in Kuala Lumpur, Mr. Heo put the women in taxis again. They pulled up at the South Korean Embassy.

쿠알라룸푸르에 착륙한 후 허 씨는 그 여성들을 다시 택시에 태웠다. 그들은 한국 대사관으로 갔다.

 

When the women saw the South Korean flag, he says, they were horrified.

허 씨는 한국 국기를 본 여종업원들이 겁을 냈다고 말한다.

 

“We were just told that we were moving to a new restaurant,” one of the women told JTBC, a South Korean broadcaster, in May. (The channel concealed the identities of the women, who said they feared for their families’ safety.)

5월 한국 방송국인 JTBC와의 인터뷰에서, 여종업원 중 한 명은 “우리는 새로운 식당으로 이동하고 있다고 말을 들었을 뿐이다”라고 말했다. (방송은 가족들의 안전에 해가 될까 두렵다는 여성들의 말에 따라 여성들의 신원을 숨겼다)

 

Mr. Heo said he told the women that there was no turning back.

허 씨는 되돌아 갈 수는 없다고 여종업원들에게 말했다고 했다.

 

“If we return to the North, we die anyway,” Mr. Heo said he told them. South Korea, he added, had promised to protect their families by keeping the defection a secret.

허 씨는 그들에게 “우리가 북으로 돌아간다면 우리는 어쨌든 죽는다”라고 말했다. 그리고 그는 한국 정부가 탈북에 대해 비밀을 지켜 그들 가족을 보호해주겠다고 약속했다고 덧붙였다.

 

They entered the building. That night, 10 black SUVs with armed escorts took the party straight to a Korean Air passenger jet, on the tarmac of the Kuala Lumpur airport, he said. The plane landed in South Korea the next morning.

그들은 대사관으로 들어갔다. 허 씨는 그날 밤 무장한 요원들과 함께 10대의 검은색 SUV 차량이 그들을 쿠알라룸푸르 공항 할주로에 있는 대한항공 여객기로 곧바로 데려다 주었다고 말했다. 비행기는 다음 날 아침에 한국에 착륙했다.

 

When North Korean defectors make it to the South, the first step is an extensive debriefing by the National Intelligence Service, which can take weeks or even months. The morning after their arrival, the waitresses were in the agency’s debriefing center south of Seoul when they saw themselves on TV.

북한 탈북자들이 한국에 도착하면 첫 단계는 국정원이 상세한 정보를 수집하는 일이며 이는 몇 주, 심지어는 몇 달이 걸리기도 한다. 그들이 도착한 다음날 아침 서울 남쪽의 국정원 정보센터에 있었던 여종업원들은 자신들의 모습이 TV에 나오는 것을 보았다.

 

Far from hushing up their defection, the government had announced it to the world. All of the women wept, Mr. Heo said.

그들의 탈북을 숨기기는커녕 남한 정부는 전세계에 이를 알렸다. 여종업원들은 모두 울었다고 허 씨는 말했다.

 

Mr. Heo now believes that the government timed the defection to generate conservative support in South Korea’s parliamentary elections, which were held just days later.

이제 허 씨는 남한 정부가 며칠 후에 있을 한국의 총선에서 보수 지지를 이끌어내기 위해 탈북 시기를 맞추었다고 믿고 있다.

 

Mr. Heo has received none of the millions he said he was promised. For his work, he says, the spy agency paid him a total of $35,500. He has worked as a cashier at a convenience store and driven a delivery truck.

허 씨가 약속 받았다고 주장하는 수백만 달러를 그는 받지 못했다. 자신이 한 일의 대가로 국정원은 그에게 총 35,500달러를 지급했다고 그는 말한다. 허 씨는 편의점에서 계산원으로 일하고 택배 차량을 운전해왔다.

 

In North Korea, he says, his parents and his sister have disappeared.

북한에 있는 자신의 부모와 여자 형제들이 사라졌다고 그는 말한다.

[저작권자: 뉴스프로]


기사입력: 2018/08/08 [09:07]  최종편집: ⓒ 인터넷저널
트위터 미투데이 페이스북 요즘 공감
 
닉네임 패스워드 도배방지 숫자 입력
내용
기사 내용과 관련이 없는 글, 욕설을 사용하는 등 타인의 명예를 훼손하는 글은 관리자에 의해 예고 없이 임의 삭제될 수 있으므로 주의하시기 바랍니다.
 
관련기사목록
[외신 뉴욕타임스 유경식당 북한 여종업원 박근혜 정권 기획탈북 ] NYT, 北종업원 朴정권 기획탈북 상세보도 뉴스프로 2018/08/08/
뉴스
최근 인기기사
실시간 댓글
최순실 정체가 충격이다 필독하자 국정
성범죄 1위 목사 미투운동 대박이다 인
대한민국 초딩필수상식 필독하자 인생
국정농단최순실 정체가 충격이다 최순실
초딩 필수 종교상식 필독하자 맹신 바
맹신 바보들아 정신차려라 무지에서 깨
쓰레기들
(((성범죄 1위 목사 증거자료))) 2002
정치도 종교도 개판이다 적극홍보하자
미투운동악용하는 이명박김주하 ??? =
  회사소개만든이광고/제휴 안내후원기사제보기사검색
Copyright ⓒ 2006 인터넷저널. All rights reserved. Email us for more information. e메일 injournal@injournal.net